Wichita Mountains May 2014

"A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones." Proverbs 12:22

Laughter is the best medicine...
What: Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge- The Narrows
When: 05/19/14
Who: Lu, Sean, Jeremy, and I

There's not much to say about this trip. In regards to climbing...it wasn't very successful. I only hopped on a few climbs, and initially even more disappointing...I wasn't motivated. Maybe it was the scotch the night before or the lack of sleep...either way, I just didn't want to climb much.
But that's ok...I didn't need to climb to have a good day. I was outside, the weather was great, and more importantly...I was getting to hang out with my buds.
 So how rare is this...My buddy Sean is in from Haiti, Lu is spending the day climbing with us, and Jeremy and I are not at the gym climbing (because today is Monday and we usually climb plastic on Mondays). This is stinking great...
So sure, there was climbing to be had...but truth is, this was an easy day. We just coasted throughout. It felt like we did more hanging out than anything else...
 And with these guys, the day was full of laughter...I can't remember the last time I laughed this much!!!
These guys are clowns...especially Lu.
 So laughter...it's the best. I am so glad I had the chance to be with these these guys on this day. I didn't know how much I needed it. It's not that I am a stressed out guy or life has been difficult at the moment...but the next day at work, I just felt really good. Whatever has been going on with me spiritually, was relieved after spending time with these knuckleheads. I thank the Lord for removing burdens...even unknown ones.
I know that I have been "in and out" of a spiritual funk these last couple of months. It's like I am a bi-polar believer. One moment I feel like I am going to break out in "tongues" and dance down the aisle and the next moment I am purposely hiding from Jesus, wanting to ignore him because it's just easier.

I needed a release. I needed to just let go and simply be...I needed to be relaxed with no agenda to complete or climb a project...I just needed to have fun....and go with he flow of the day. With this mindset falling into place, I felt ready for healing. I was ready to receive the best kind of therapy.
I was ready to laugh...at everything. I laughed with and at my friends. I laughed at every joke. I laughed at our mistakes (which there were a plenty!). I laughed at myself. I just laughed like I haven't laughed in a long time. My sides hurt! This is what I needed.

So as I type this, I laugh again. I laugh at our goofy day. We looked like idiots out there! And it was great. Laughter brought on good spirits amongst us...And a good spirit is a cheerful spirit. The Lord says a cheerful spirit is good medicine. I say Amen to that.

Comments

Popular Posts