Jesus climbed...so shall I!


Exodus 19:3 says, "Then Moses went up to God, and the Lord called to him from the mountain and said, "This is what you are to say to the house of Jacob..." As you know...Moses, the most known character of the old testament, was kinda important. He got to chat with God...on a mountainside!

Matthew 17:1-2 states, "After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James, and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves.There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became white as the light." As you can see...Jesus and a few of his buddies trekked up a mountain...and guess what? Moses was there again!

What's my point? Both Jesus and Moses...in there polartec and gore-tex gear, ice axe in hand, and crampons on tightly, climbed there way up several pitches of 5.12 plus routes, traversing bottomless crevasses, and summiting in record time all while glorifying the Father! When I read these scriptures...this is what I am envisioning!

Ok...that's a stretch...maybe I am taking the verses out of context a little. However, these stories do stick out to me because I would have loved to have been on those hikes/climb up the mountain. Obviously, I love to climb! I will climb anything...stone, buildings, trees,...if there's anything I can put my fingers in and toes on...I'm sending it!
Let's go back to the transfiguration...Here, Jesus lit up. The bible says his face shone like the sun! Wow! Now, I know there was something spiritual going on...but maybe...just maybe...Jesus was also super stoked to summit the freakin' mountain. The sense of exhilaration...the sense of satisfaction...the adrenaline you get when you send a route or reach the peak. What do you think?

I don't know exactly how Jesus felt up there...but I do know how I feel: overjoyed, content, grateful, and most of all rewarded.
You can say that my face shines up like the sun too!
 I can't wait for the day that I can be like Peter, James, or John...Go out to the crag and hang out with Jesus. Work on a few problems, climb a few routes, or hike up a mountain and see Jesus' face light up like the sun. I will be right there with him...face too, all lit up!

Comments

Popular Posts